Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Class bit of glass artefact Wednesday

Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I have a certain - admittedly mostly ironic - fondness for Greek-Australian kitsch. And this glass is pure Greek-Australian kitsch.

Strangely though, I'm enjoying this artefact on a completely non-ironic level. Aside from the tacky (and mandatory) gold-plating around the rim, I really think this is a rather tasteful and high quality piece of South Melbourne Hellas memorabilia.

I had this image sent to me from South of the Border reader Evan, who got them from a friend. Are these glasses 'official'? What year are they from? I haven't the foggiest idea. If I were to hazard some guesses I would say, 'maybe' and 'late 1970s to 1980s'. I wish I had my own.

2 comments:

  1. that thing is mint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the emblem Id say mid70s pre NSL

    ReplyDelete

While I like people commenting on the blog, it would be useful if different posters could at least leave some sort of nickname to make it easier to sort through all the different 'anonymous' posters. If your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet. Lastly, just because I approve a comment for publication does not mean that I endorse its content.