Sunday, 30 November 2008
Saturday, 29 November 2008
Looking real good... when it comes out the results will speak for themselves... here's just a little sneak peek, which may be breaching certain boundaries, but hopefully it gets all of you out there just a little bit excited about the coming year, and hell, the whole future of the club.
I'd have posted more, but that would ruin the surprise then, wouldn't it? :smileyfase:
Friday, 28 November 2008
Thursday, 27 November 2008
Billy Natsioulas, winger, fan, associate, contemporary, and once memorable contributor to South of the Border, has departed the club, and will head to ambitious state league 1 side Bentleigh Greens next year. We at South of the Border would like to wish Billy all the best at his new club, his recovery from injury, as well as his taking on the coaching reigns of the under 18 squad down at Kingston Heath. While it doesn't always end up the way you want it too, at least Billy has a VPL championship medal and the honour of playing for the club he grew up supporting, an opportunity so few players get.
Now if you don't mind, I'm going back to the forum to bash my head against the proverbial brickwall.
Wednesday, 26 November 2008
Tuesday, 25 November 2008
But there was one part that hasn't been widely or publically reported yet, and that was the interesting move of former board member and football operations dude Jim Marinis across to the Melbourne Knights to play out a similar role. Which is a shame really, not necessarily for what we've lost or gained in his moving on from our club - as that all depends on who you listen to and some people are quite biased in their opinions - but moreso for the fact that he's now working against the club he allgedly loves or once loved.
Monday, 24 November 2008
It's a good thing I live near Paisley Park so I don't have to rush to the other side of town for an 8am start. On arrival, we find the Altona Magic side has one pitch unmarked and the venue unattended, while the Altona East side is all marked, has canteen open, and seems to be more up for it in general. Teams start arriving and we manage to sort through them without too much trouble. And then it starts. Referees start refusing to play on the unmarked ground, and then after a few serious injuries both typical and atypical football-wise, it gets to the stage where even the small East ground is deemed unplayable. So we have to squeeze four games which are meant to be played simultaneously into two grounds. This means that the 30 minute games which the teams have paid for are now reduced to 15 minute games.
I see a couple of South fans who are playing. One of their teams gets through comfortably, while the other is unlucky to miss out after losing their final game to a well hit freekick. Michael Curcija plays for one of the teams today, but his side is pretty disappointing. The weather seemed to ease up at one stage, only for it to deteriotate once more. Altona East's chicken skewer things really hit the spot, as did the putting on the lights for the final game of the day. All in all, considering all the nuisances we had to put up with, the day ended up ok, but a lot of that had to do with the way almost all the teams took the changes in their stride with nary a complaint.
Albert Park the venue for the 6-a-side games. The grounds are a mess, and we're starting earlier. But it's generally running on time, and I'm thinking, ok, I'll be tired by the end, but will finish up here roundabout whenever I'm supposed to. But then things deteriorate steadily. The radio airwaves are clogged up with nonsense. My corresponding pitch marshal on the field next to me disappears every now and again. There are not enough bibs to go around for team clashes. Calls for medics, questions etc go unanswered. I'm not sure what's going on at venue control hq, and by the time the finals come about, I don't know where I'm supposed to send two teams who are waiting on the sidelines waiting for information their seeding. I'm tired. feeling sick, I help take down some nets, and resolve never to do this again. Once again the teams take it in their stride, the referees do the best they can, and most of the volunteers do the best they can in a bad situation. But I'm done with this. Too many teams and not enough time, and far too little pay for the hours and work we're supposed to do.
Friday, 21 November 2008
- 01 Mar 6:00PM South Melbourne vs Dandenong Thunder Bob Jane Stadium
- 08 Mar 6:00PM South Melbourne vs Heidelberg Utd Bob Jane Stadium
- 15 Mar 5:00PM Preston Lions vs South Melbourne BT Connor Reserve
- 22 Mar 6:00PM South Melbourne vs Melbourne Knights Bob Jane Stadium
- 30 Mar 8:30PM Whittlesea Zebras vs South Melbourne Epping Stadium
- 05 Apr 4:00PM South Melbourne vs Richmond Bob Jane Stadium
- 18 Apr 4:00PM Green Gully Cavaliers vs South Melbourne Green Gully Reserve
- 26 Apr 3:00PM Coburg Utd vs South Melbourne To Be Confirmed
- 03 May 4:00PM South Melbourne vs Oakleigh Cannons Bob Jane Stadium
- 10 May 4:00PM South Melbourne vs Altona Magic Bob Jane Stadium
- 17 May 3:00PM Sunshine Georgies vs South Melbourne To Be Confirmed
- 24 May 4:00PM Dandenong Thunder vs South Melbourne George Andrews Reserve
- 01 Jun 8:30PM Heidelberg Utd vs South Melbourne Olympic Park (Village)
- 14 Jun 3:00PM South Melbourne vs Preston Lions Bob Jane Stadium
- 21 Jun 4:00PM Melbourne Knights vs South Melbourne Knights Stadium
- 28 Jun 3:00PM South Melbourne vs Whittlesea Zebras Bob Jane Stadium
- 10 Jul 8:30PM Richmond vs South Melboune Kevin Bartlett Reserve
- 19 Jul 4:00PM South Melbourne vs Green Gully Cavaliers Bob Jane Stadium
- 26 Jul 4:00PM South Melbourne vs Coburg Utd Bob Jane Stadium
- 31 Jul 8:30PM Oakleigh Cannons vs South Melbourne Jack Edwards Reserve
- 09 Aug 4:00PM Altona Magic vs South Melbourne Paisley Park
- 15 Aug 3:00PM South Melbourne vs Sunshine Georgies Bob Jane Stadium
Tuesday, 18 November 2008
Monday, 17 November 2008
Saturday, 15 November 2008
Friday, 14 November 2008
Thursday, 13 November 2008
Tuesday, 11 November 2008
H20 Architects - needs Flash 7 to work which for some reason doesn't work on any of my four browsers except for Internet Explorer.
Anyway, if it's true, I wouldn't be disappointed... they seem to have some sort of pedigree, and I don't mind their modern/progressive approach if their previous work is a guide. As long as some natural light gets knocked into the social club of course.