Thursday 24 April 2008

South Melbourne Hellas video goldmine

It's often been a difficult task getting to see South on the tv... whether that was because of bad broadcasting deals, Sydney bias, of simply not being on the big stage anymore, sometimes all one has are one's memories. Well, of course that's where youtube (and to a lesser extent, photobucket) comes in. Typing in South Melbourne or Hellas brings up a huge array of videos from days of yore. The quality varies of course, but most stuff is perfectly clear. Myself and another bloke have uploaded a selection of clips that we received from the legendary South fan known as Banger, but there's something about the collection of videos uploaded by 'smscmaster' (also known as 4Flares and a Souvlaki) which is quite exemplary. There's training clips including an aussie rules scratch match, footage from the stands, a friendly against the then powerhouse Victorian club Port Melbourne... so much stuff, that it makes 4Flares my favourite South fan that I've never met. I hope the acquaintance will be made one day, but for now enjoy rifling though his collection, and try not get distracted by the non South stuff if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/user/smscmaster

2 comments:

  1. I've met this 4Flares character.

    If I said it was over-rated, I'd be lying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to meet John Punshon finally and briefly a few weeks back... seems a like a nice guy

    ReplyDelete

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.