Wednesday 2 April 2008

In the interests of freedom and plurality

My less tolerant side says not to give right-wing pricks any sustenance. But there's two problems with that. Unlike them I genuinely love freedom; and I've already given enough plugs and valuable oxygen in the way of criticism to those who eat pumpkin seeds, so really, it'd be a double standard of sorts. And I don't usually go in for that kind of thing. Besides, having being listening to Fantomas also means that I'm a state of confusion which will almost certainly lead to make a bad decision. I saw Fantomas once back in 2003 at the sadly departed Palace. Man, they were good, though I never could understand how someone could mosh to scattergun jazz-metal. Tomahawk were better though, bloody scary good. Maybe you were there? Or perhaps you attended on the other night they played? If so you'd know what I mean. So anyway, there's a new South Melbourne Hellas forum. It promises to be more democratic than smfcboard, which I suppose wouldn't be hard. But by virtue of the fact that it's also being run by and for predominantly people of a right wing Greek nationalist persuasion (from moderates to extremists), it'll be interesting to see how truly democratic and open it can be. As well as in the long run watching how much of it has to do with South at all. Already plenty of the videos posted there are of the Hellas Fan Club rather than South. And who exactly is running it? My guess has it narrowed down to probably 1-2 people who would make the effort, not taking into account the possibility of it being a non-South supporters prank. And what are their rules? Will they be really strict? How much leeway will there be for people whose opinions they dislike? Policy on opposition fans? How much will they clamp down on libelous statements? How will they deal with the smfcboard gimmicks, who may see an opportunity to cause havoc? Also, am I on there? If not will I be on there? Would I post? How long before their open house dream starts falling apart? Will it even get to the stage where heaps of people will sign up? Time will tell how successful they are I suppose. Link on the right hand side.

1 comment:

  1. Fantomas are jazz metal? Thought they were more surf rock meself. :/

    ReplyDelete

A few notes on comments.

We've had a lot of fun over the years with my freewheeling comments policy, but all good things must come to an end. Therefore I will no longer be approving comments that contain personal abuse of any sort.

Still, if your post doesn't get approved straight away, it's probably because I haven't seen it yet.

As usual, publication of a comment does not mean endorsement of its content.